2.8.8 template integration improvements and 2.8.8 pre-logs

axew3
w3all User
w3all User

2.8.8 template integration improvements and 2.8.8 pre-logs

Post by axew3 »

This topic will be now RE-titled into: 2.8.8 template integration improvements and 2.8.8 pre-logs.
A new topic about 2.8.8 logs release, that will contain a link to this topic, will be now opened, so to have a more precise/reduced and resumed lists of the applied fixes.
Ezrael
User www
User www

Re: 2.8.8 template integration improvements and 2.8.8 pre-logs

Post by Ezrael »

Unfortunately one user discovered an issue I haven't seen before.

If you login via phpbb, the wp site doesn't refresh anymore and people are not logged in.

Logout works like it should.

Send you an Pm with test-user account to reproduce the issue
axew3
w3all User
w3all User

Post by axew3 »

Hello! Ok reproduced the same on my localhost, let see why do not fire the reload on page-forum.
I will be in reply with the fix in short now or this night. Thank for the report! See you later...
axew3
w3all User
w3all User

Post by axew3 »

On page-forum(orWhatEverNamed).php of your active template folder
the line

Code: Select all

if( w3all_phpbb_u_logged == null && wp_u_logged > 1 || wp_u_logged == 0 && w3all_phpbb_u_logged > 2 ){
require to be changed into

Code: Select all

if( w3all_phpbb_u_logged == null && wp_u_logged > 1 || wp_u_logged == 0 && w3all_phpbb_u_logged != null ){
the shortcode code was already fixed about this, so you seen maybe that here it was instead working.
Attachments
page-forum.zip
(4.73 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
Ezrael
User www
User www

Post by Ezrael »

Looks good so far! I will test it in the next days!

One general question: I bypassed the phpbb registration and redirected to registration to wp for the whole side.

Can is deactivate the registration in phpbb acp or is the setting required for your plugin?

Would be nice for some extra security because its easier to protect one registration instead of two.

Edit: I recognised, that the activation Email doesn't work anymore. If a user register ist possible to login into phpbb without using the activation link. Due to the fact the user logged in in phpbb the code automatically login in wp as well.

In Wordpress the user appears as Waiting for activation but the user has already access without using the activation link.
Ezrael
User www
User www

Post by Ezrael »

I did further tests and figured out how it works for me, but I don't know if this behavior is correct.

With W3All set to the default mode, new users can log in to phpBB after registering via WP without any verification. My setting was set to "Email confirmation." The system sent the email, but the user could log in to phpBB without using the activation email. Since the user can log in to phpBB, they are automatically logged in to WP as well, but the official status in WP ACP is still "Waiting for Email Confirmation."

For me, this is a huge issue because it could lead to a nightmare scenario where there is no control, even if the setting was set to "Account has to be approved by an Admin."

I changed the following setting in W3ALL:
Add users in phpBB only after first successful login in WordPress

Note: if the option below
- Deactivate phpBB user account until WP confirmation
is set to Yes, then the user will be added into phpBB as deactivated and will not be able to login until not activated via admin in phpBB

Note: may activating this option, you'll have to allow user's logins as mandatory only into WordPress, or the user that try to login in phpBB, will fail until not created in phpBB due to an explicit and successful login into WordPress

This option affect/work both default WordPress and WP Multisite installations, where there are signups registrations processes, but also will work for any plugin that use signups processes for user's registration into front-end

Note that if some frontend plugin, after the user's account confirmation action, allow the user's autologin via some option, may the autologin after confirmation will fail and the user will have to login by the way
The bold and underlined part isn't correct anymore. As soon as the new user logs in to WordPress, the account is fully operational in phpBB. It works fine for me because that's exactly what I needed, but I don't know if this is how the plugin is supposed to work.
Last edited by Ezrael on Sun Jul 07, 2024 6:05 am, edited 2 times in total.